CIEE/ Development Studies Program in Dakar
Dakar, Senegal (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Courses Offered:||Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||Brandeis applicants only|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Program Type:||Study Center||Program Language(s):||French, Other|
|Area of Study(s):||African and Afro-American Studies, Anthropology, Economics, Education, Environmental Studies, French & Francophone Studies, Health: Science, Society & Policy, International & Global Studies, Language and Linguistics, Legal Studies, Politics, Sociology||Minimum Semesters of Previous Language Study Required:||5|
|Housing Options:||Homestay||Minimum GPA:||3.0|
|Experiential Learning Opportunities:||Internship, Volunteering|
CIEE Development Studies Program in Dakar, Senegal
Over the past few years Senegal has made strides toward improving human rights and the standard of living. Explore how this is being achieved, and confront the complexities surrounding environmental, developmental, and globalization issues. You’ll join in a hands-on learning model to examine Senegalese society, from education to politics and the impact of Islam. Through language learning, homestays, coursework, fieldwork, and community engagement, you’ll get unparalleled insight into issues facing West Africa.
Study abroad in Senegal and you will:
- Learn firsthand about the development challenges facing Senegal through both coursework and participation in urban and rural community engagement projects
- Spend two weeks living, studying, and volunteering in a rural or semi-urban area of Senegal, deepening your understanding of development issues in different areas of the country
- Live with a local host family to gain new perspectives on Senegalese traditions
Find out more.
Please check the CIEE website for final program dates, and speak with your CIEE Study Abroad Advisor prior to booking airfare.
Brandeis Specific Information
Students wanting to apply to this program must submit two applications:
- to the Brandeis Office of Study Abroad. Visit the Brandeis Study Abroad Website in order to obtain more information about internal application process, advising hours, academic credit, and financial aid transfer.
- to the external program listed above. Visit the Brandeis Study Abroad Website for more information on commonly asked questions about the external application process like deadlines, program approval forms, paying deposits, etc...